fbpx
skip to Main Content

Prairie Wind Ensemble Announces New Conductor

  • News

Prairie Wind Ensemble Announces New Conductor

The Prairie Wind Ensemble would like to announce the selection of Jim Tallman as the ensemble’s new conductor.  Mr. Tallman is in his 24th year at Washington Community High School where he is Director of Bands, Department Chair for Fine Arts and a Speech Communication teacher.

Mr. Tallman earned his Bachelor’s Degrees in Music Education and Music Performance from Bradley University, a Masters in Music degree from the American Band College at Southern Oregon University and a Masters in Educational Leadership from Olivet Nazarene University.  He is a member of Phi Beta Mu and has received a Wal-Mart Teacher of the Year award.    Jim has served on the IHSA Music Advisory Committee, was a state NBA representative and has guest conducted at ISYM, honor bands from several high school conferences as well as ILMEA District Jazz Ensembles. He has previously performed with the Prairie Wind Ensemble as a percussionist.  His wife, Jennifer, is a Title 1 teacher for John L. Hensey Grade School in Washington.

Mr. Tallman will assume the podium for the PWE when rehearsals begin in February in preparation for the March 19, 2017 concert.  The PWE has a rich history owed to its founder, Conductor Emeritus Dr. Donald Lewellen, who founded the ensemble in 1977. Dr. Lewellen led the ensemble until his retirement in 2003.

The ensemble membership represents many professional backgrounds. Approximately 70% of members are current or retired professional music educators. The remaining 30% represent a diverse set of occupations including recording technician, nurse, educator, anesthesiologist, information technologist, electronics technician, engineer, attorney, homemaker, electrician, retail manager, and project manager.  Members are from Knoxville, Canton, Macomb, Bloomington, Normal, Peoria Heights, Washington, North Pekin, Marquette Heights, Avon, Morton, Cuba, Galesburg, Chillicothe, Dunlap, Glasford, Mapleton, Bartonville, Metamora, Germantown Hills, Marseilles, Farmington, Elmwood as well as Peoria, East Peoria and Morton.

Tickets are $10.00 per concert, $8.00 for students and seniors.  Children under 12 are free. Tickets may be purchased through the Illinois Central College Performing Arts Center by phone (309- 694-5136) or in person. There is limited availability at the door the day of the performance.

Upcoming Concerts:  March 19, 2017 and May 14, 2017.

Further information, pictures, contacts and updates for the ensemble can be found on the website: www.prairiewindensemble.com

Elizabeth Lehnhausen Driscoll, PWE Publicity edriscol@Dishmail.net  or by phone 309-635-6389.

X
X