Summary: The Music Director of the Peoria Area Civic Chorale’s Youth Chorus is responsible for the leadership and direction of the Peoria Area Civic Chorale’s Youth Chorus, including recruiting, programming, rehearsals, and performances. The PACCYC Music Director works in collaboration with the Artistic Director of the Peoria Area Civic Chorale and reports to the Board of Directors on administrative, organizational and outreach activities.
Peoria Area Civic Chorale Background: Founded in 1982, the Peoria Area Civic Chorale parent organization, is an auditioned, community-based, mixed choir of approximately 75 voices experienced in the art of choral singing. A typical Peoria Area Civic Chorale concert reflects excellence across a broad spectrum of history, style, and cultures with performances that seek to entertain, educate, and inspire.
The Peoria Area Civic Chorale firmly believes in the value of artistic collaboration, and they have shared the stage with many professional musicians and performing arts organizations including the Peoria Symphony Orchestra, the Heartland Festival Orchestra, Peoria Ballet, the Air National Guard Band of the Mid-West, and the Peoria Heritage Chorale.
The Peoria Area Civic Chorale is governed by a Board of Directors dedicated to the Civic Chorale’s mission: to develop, create, produce, and perform a diverse repertoire of the highest quality presented in the most professional manner for the enjoyment, entertainment, aesthetic enrichment, and education of its members, its audiences, and those who live in the communities it serves.
Peoria Area Civic Chorale Youth Chorus Background: The Peoria Area Civic Chorale Youth Chorus (PACCYC) was founded in 1986 to enrich the lives of musically talented children in grades four through eight (unchanged voices). The PACCYC exists to provide interested singers with extra-ordinary choral music experiences via outstanding music education and excellence in performance. Through a curriculum that uses high quality repertoire from a wide variety of musical styles this program strives to develop vocal and musicianship skills in the youngsters who participate, providing them with opportunities to not only experience the joys of singing but to lead them to be expressive artists.
In addition to the ensembles’ won bi-annual performances, the PACCYC collaborates with the Peoria Area Civic Chorale for their bi-annual concert series presented in December and early May. Historically, the PACCYC has also appeared in concert with the Des Moines Children’s Chorus, The Milwaukee Children’s Choir, the Central Illinois Youth Symphony, the Irving School Choir, the Peoria Symphony Orchestra, the Heartland Festival Orchestra, the GospelFest Singers, the Opera Illinois’ production of Hansel & Gretel, and performed in the Peoria Ballet production of the Nutcracker.
Youth (in grades 4-8 with unchanged voice) exhibiting strong vocal and musical skills and potential are encouraged to audition for membership into the PACCYC. No musical training or experience is necessary. Auditions are held each May, August, and January. Because the PACCYC cannot operate successfully without the assistance of volunteers,
There are many opportunities exist for parents and families to be involved in the success of the PACCYC. Weekly rehearsals are held on Tuesday afternoons from 4:30-6:00 p.m.
PACCYC Music Director Responsibilities:
- Select repertoire suitable for children’s voices and appropriate for training students in choral singing.
- Provides instruction that develops the vocal and ensemble skills of young singers.
- Plans and executes regular weekly rehearsals of the PACCYC during the concert season.
- Schedules and designs season concerts, including themes, locations, and guest artists.
- Conducts all performances of the PACCYC.
- Communicates and collaborates with the Peoria Area Civic Chorale Artistic Director in decisions regarding joint performances.
- Provides program information, translations, and notes as needed.
- Assists office staff with concert related logistics as needed.
- Represents the PACCYC at various community and cultural events.
- Communicates regularly and clearly with families of PACCYC singers.
- Communicates regularly with the PACC Office/Business Manager and other staff.
- Confers with parents/caregivers regarding student progress, family, and fundraising activities.
- Works closely with the Peoria Area Civic Chorale Board of Directors, Office/Business Manager, and staff to ensure continued effectives and development of the PACCYC including providing input on policies and procedures.
- Identifies and schedules gust artists and performers to collaborate with the PACCYC.
- Provides grant information to board members including projects and visions, representing the Peoria Area Civic Chorale in grant discussions as needed.
- Attends monthly board meetings and provides monthly reports to the Board of Directors.
- Participates in mission, vision, and strategic development discussions with the PACC Board of Directors, the Peoria Area Civic Chorale Artistic Director, and other staff.
The ideal PACCYC Music Director candidate will possess these qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Choral Conducting or Music Education and/or significant experience in childhood music education.
- 3-5 years of experience directing a youth chorus.
- Passion for working with children and strong belief in and understanding of the benefits of performance-based music education.
- Ability to work in collaboration with the Peoria Area Civic Chorale Artistic Director and other staff to develop the vision for the PACCYC, including repertoire, programming, and seasonal planning.
- Knowledge of choral techniques, vocal pedagogy, and a broad range of choral repertoire for children’s choir.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work as a member of a team.
Compensation and Hours:
This is a part-time, salaried position which the PACC organization anticipates will require 12-15 hours per week through the typical concert season (i.e., August through early May.) Hours are flexible, but the successful candidate must be able to accommodate the weekly, Tuesday afternoon rehearsal (4:30-6:00 pm) plus evening and/or weekend rehearsal and performance schedules. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
TO APPLY: By Midnight, November 15th, please email your resume (including references), with a cover letter describing how you meet the qualifications for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Youth Chorus Music Director Search” in the subject line. All application information must be received via email – no hard copies will be accepted. Candidates selected for a final round of evaluation, will be contacted for additional information prior to an on-site interview.
The Peoria Area Civic Chorale is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information visit: www.peoriacivicchorale.org/employment